Tips in Finding the Best Baby Circumcision in Manchester
Circumcision is a common but optional procedure in males that involves the surgical removal of the foreskin to expose the tip of the penis. Circumcision in babies offers health benefits according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), although AAP doesn’t recommend nor disapprove it.
Circumcision is a delicate topic that sometimes leads to heated arguments. Some religious and cultural traditions are even against it. This medical procedure may cause discomfort and may result in an infection on the foreskin incision. It can also cause psychological trauma to the child.
Nevertheless, some families choose to have their babies circumcised for health reasons. Boys who have been circumcised are at reduced risk for:
- Foreskin infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Penile cancer
- Sexually transmitted diseases
When searching for the best doctor in Manchester to perform a circumcision on your baby, consider the following.
Years of Experience
When you research for the best baby circumcision practitioners, it is best to know how long the doctor has been circumcising babies. Don’t put your baby at risk with a doctor who’s not specializing in circumcisions. Although it’s a low-risk procedure, it still has some risks involved if not done correctly, such as:
- Infection – Infection can result if the incision wasn’t properly done and aftercare wasn’t clearly provided.
- Bleeding – There will be some bleeding, but it’s risky if the bleeding doesn’t stop. There are families with a history of hemophilia (bleeding disorder), and the doctor should ask the parents about it before performing any form of surgery.
- Surgical error – Although very rare, this could be possible. For instance, the tip of the penis may be accidentally cut. Don’t worry, everything can be repaired these days.
Number of Circumcisions Done
Look for specialists. Some doctors and clinics specialize in baby circumcisions, such as Hibbert Circumcision Manchester practitioners who have done over 5000 circumcision procedures. This will assure you that your baby is in the right hands and that nothing can go wrong because the doctors have more than enough practice and experience in doing such as procedure.
Word of mouth is the most excellent way to get information if a particular clinic or doctor is good at circumcising babies. Here are some tips:
- Check out customer reviews. The clinic’s website should provide you with customers’ feedback and recommendations.
- Ask for recommendations from your family and friends, especially those who work in the healthcare field.
- Join online mommy groups in Manchester and ask other parents where they sent their son for circumcision and if they were satisfied with the result.
Always ask how much the procedure costs. Ask if there are other charges before, during, or after surgery that you need to prepare for. Inquire what medications and treatments you need to pay. Newborn circumcision is also covered by insurance. You may discuss this with the practitioner or the insurance provider. Might as well look for a practitioner that is associated with your insurance provider.
After Procedure Care
The most critical part of a circumcision is probably the post-operation care as this is the time when the incision is most prone to infection. Do the following:
- Ask your doctor if post-op care will be provided and if it’s already included in the costs.
- Comply with follow-up checkups as these are necessary to make sure that your baby’s foreskin incision is healing up well.
- Make sure you as a parent are given instructions on how to properly take care of your baby at home. For instance, the right disposable diaper should be used to avoid complications and aid the healing process.
Emergency Care and Home Service
If the need arises that you are not able to leave your house for your child’s care, ask your doctor if he offers home visits. The circumcision itself may be done at home if you wish, especially if mobility is limited for some reason. Get your doctor’s contact information and place it somewhere you can quickly get a hold off until your baby’s surgical site has completely healed and recovered. This may come in handy if you have questions and you want to make sure you are doing the right home care for your child.
Circumcision is usually one of the many first decisions you will have to make for your child. Whether you choose to go for it or not is entirely your personal choice. Ask a doctor on the other benefits that your child will get if you go for it or not, especially if your son has a medical condition. Make sure you fully understand your options and you’re comfortable with your decision.